Physical Education at Arnesby
At Arnesby we love PE! We are committed to providing the best opportunities for children to develop their physical competence, confidence, and ability to perform in a range of activities. We encourage children to participate in a range of physical activity and develop skills and awareness of the effect exercise has on their bodies. We promote positive attitudes towards active and healthy lifestyles.
The national curriculum for physical education aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- Are physically active for sustained periods of time
- Engage in competitive sports and activities
- Lead healthy active lifestyles
This year, we will be reviewing our curriculum map to ensure that children are engaging in a variety of popular and alternative sports enabling them to develop the above skills.
The Government has invested in improving physical education and sport in primary schools by introducing the sports premium grant. As a school we received approximately £16,000 to help improve the provision for PE and sport. We have spent this money on:
- Investing in new equipment and resources to support learning
- Providing additional after-school extra-curricular sports clubs
- Promoting inclusive sports and alternative sport opportunities
- Promoting healthy competition and participating in borough-wide competitions
- Building on the EYFS provision with a focus on fundamental movement skills
- Trips to sporting events or venues
- Swimming interventions for those who are struggling to reach the expected standard.
To encourage children to move at all points in the day and not just during PE sessions we have done a lot of work on improving the playtime provision.
We have also introduced the BBC ‘supermovers’ website and GoNoodle, meaning the children can move and have brain breaks throughout the day.
The website aims to help with gross and fine motor skills, coordination and increasing the heart rate as well as mindfulness and meditation for times when stillness and calm need to be encouraged.